Wednesday 22 July 2015

Following a late night


As I already had Facebook and Twitter accounts thing 5 didn't take as much time as the previous tasks had which was just as well as I was way behind starting it. As requested I joined the Rudai23 Facebook group and introduced myself and I followed a group the '5 minute librarian'.

On Twitter I followed Rudai23, tweeted with a #rudai23 hashtag (the topic was in no way related to the course but I thought it might initiate a conversation) and found a few library related lists to subscribe to including; 'library life' and 'librarians in Ireland'.

I use both platforms regularly mostly for social reasons, I don't know if I would be inclined to use either for professional interactions. I know the difference between having Facebook 'friends' and 'liking pages' and having the ability to control what people can see but it still feels a little bit like mixing business with pleasure, not that either my Facebook or Twitter accounts contain anything wild or salacious. The most exciting thing about my Twitter account is that Sheridan Smith (actress); Wendy Jones (author) and Stephen (one of the guys on Gogglebox) are following me!!

The exercise on Twitter did give me an excuse to look at exactly who I was following and all I can say is that allot of them obviously seemed like a great idea late at night after a few glasses of wine! I did a cull and the remaining people I follow fell into 5 categories; library/book related, craft related, celebrity/TV shows, satirical feeds and surprisingly health & fitness......this was probably motivated by an early morning following an aforementioned late night drinking wine, a Bridget Jones moment perhaps.....is it too late to make a New Year’s resolution in July?



1 comment:

  1. It's never too late to make a resolution and I think you make a valid point about the need to take the time to check and, if necessary, cull your "likes" and "follows". It's too easy to follow everything and then not get drowned in a sea of posts.

    ReplyDelete