Tuesday 21 July 2015

#thing4


Who knew Google+ had so much to offer? Maybe everyone but me! Having established profiles like Niamh's and Stephanie's to look at was a great help when editing my own. Hours could be spent searching for communities to join, posts to share and people to connect with. Pinterest (my current online addiction) may become neglected because of this newfound social network.

The Meath libraries equipment budget has yet to stretch to monitors with built in webcams so I tried to open the Hangout app on my phone on Thursday. I was at the back of the library building where the Wi-Fi connection is poor so I hovered around the circulation desk close to the router with phone in hand trying to connect only to receive an error message informing me that I was not authorized to log in and to contact a member of staff, I was tempted to go into the toilets, look in the mirror go all De Niro and demand assistance........"You talkin' to me?"........ but instead I waited and tried it at home later.......fast forward to today (Tuesday) the hangout app is finally installed on my phone and I have just had a brief video chat with my colleague Shauna yeaaaah it works....it took me 5 days but it's installed and working. I'm not sure if the video call is a feature that I will use very often for work related purposes but at least I know it's there.

I'm obviously way behind on thing 5 at this stage so I will have to get going now........Taxi!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your description of hanging around the back trying to get sufficient WiFi to get your hangouts to work. It's one of the biggest challenges I find with all the internet phone communications - broadband capacity just doesn't cut it. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete